Ch 16,17,18 Parrot Story

Part 1: Images

Everyone is connected to the tree and are dependent on that tree. If enough of the branches "people” die than the tree will die. In order for the tree to survive the branches must work together and keep each other strong


 




We are all connected in one way or an other and having one person or “stone” lost can break the whole connection or “bridge”. Interdependence is needed to form that bridge of stone.


This picture represents interdependence. Interdependence is when things rely on other variables in order for specific events to happen. In this picture the people are all connected to form a shape. They depend on each other to keep this form. If one were to break off, the whole shape would come apart. This relates to Flight because in order for violence to happen, both parties need to be violent. At first, Zits was provoking Pam and Paul, they did not want trouble therefore there was no violence. Then, Zits took it too far with Paul and they both engaged in the violence.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Part 2:
Key Concepts:

Zit’s dad fell into the stereotype that all Native American become alcoholics somehow or other, however he is more complicated than that. Zit’s dad is ignored upon by mainstream society which gave him little opportunity to succeed. He takes his failures out on others and on himself and turns to violence and anger. Only after he is punched, does he finally connect and start to respect and sympathize with another person - the person who punched him! They started up a conversation about a parrot.  The story itself wasn't important but the language behind it was because we see that they both connected ans started to enjoy each other's company. With this, the book implies that violence doesn’t always have to happen and that there can be a middle ground where both are able to understand and reflect from each other's perspectives.



 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Part #3:
  

"Need You Now"



Picture perfect memories scattered all around the floor.

Reaching for the phone 'cause I can't fight it anymore.


And I wonder if I ever cross your mind?
For me it happens all the time.


[Chorus:]
It's a quarter after one, I'm all alone and I need you now.
Said I wouldn't call but I've lost all control and I need you now.
And I don't know how I can do without.
I just need you now.


Another shot of whiskey, can't stop looking at the door.
Wishing you'd come sweeping in the way you did before.


And I wonder if I ever cross your mind?
For me it happens all the time.


[Chorus:]
It's a quarter after one, I'm a little drunk and I need you now.
Said I wouldn't call but I've lost all control and I need you now.
And I don't know how I can do without.
I just need you now.


Oh, whoa
Guess I'd rather hurt than feel nothing at all.


[Chorus:]
It's a quarter after one, I'm all alone and I need you now.
And I said I wouldn't call but I'm a little drunk and I need you now.
And I don't know how I can do without.
I just need you now
I just need you now.
Oh, baby, I need you now.


EXPLANATION:
"Need You Know" depicts two people who had a perfectly compatible relationship with each other, but now it is broken. Both people in the relationship want to get back together, but neither is admitting it. Like when Zits is trying to instigate a fight with a stranger, the quarrel or near quarrel doesn't happen unless both parties want it to happen. "Need You Now" and the near fight scene, with Zits and the stranger, both illustrate how relationships cannot work with just one person. Like the saying "it takes two to tango," we are all interdependent on one another.